Monday, March 23, 2009

Emma's Take on SXSW


So Emma is my first other contributor *does celebratory high-kick*. Here's her post:

The festival was amazing, and I think I'm sorted for new music for at least a year. Seeing ten bands a day brings you to an almost otherworldly understanding of musical structure and the nuances of sound, though at the expense of your sanity and health. . The festival takes my mind-over-matter ethos to unconscionable extremes. The hot sun, loud music, endless free drinks, and twelve hours a day of standing outside in the hot sun, breaks your body down until you're nothing but spirit and ears. Emerson wrote of the "transparent eyeball"...
Standing on the bare ground,--my head bathed by the blithe air and
uplifted into infinite space,--all mean egotism vanishes. I become a
transparent eyeball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the

Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or parcel of God.

...At southby you become a transparent eardrum.

No comments: